Saturday, March 27, 2010

Moments in Canadian Nationalism

I guess spending eight years in Canada and several years now hanging out with and studying the Canadian Forces is having an impact on me.  I first noticed it when I would confuse people when I used the word "we" when describing stuff in Afghanistan--was I referring to the NATO effort?  The US troops?  or the Canadians?  And it would depend.

Two more recent events that remind me of my identification with all things Maple/Moose (but not hockey):
  • Today's NYT has an article on the fight in Kandahar, but somehow entirely omits Canada and the Canadian Forces despite the fact that Canada has had the lead in that province since 2006.  Indeed, the Americans in the district of Kandahar are now under the command of a Canadian general.  And I react with amazement and a bit of horror. The Canadians have lost 141 soldiers, almost entirely in Kandahar.  Where were the Americans?  In Iraq.  Anyway, that was my first, gut, reaction to the story.
  • While I was in New Zealand, I was chatting with a member of parliament, and I noted the low casualties the Aussies and Kiwis faced (11 and 0, respectively).  He replied by suggesting that the Canadians have suffered a much bigger hit because they are perhaps poorly trained, spending too much time in the 1990's preparing for and doing peacekeeping.  I didn't choke the guy on the spot, but felt mighty tempted.  I was tempted to yell at him that the Canadians are in @#$@#$@# Kandahar, not peaceful, quiet, remote, elevated, underpopulated and entirely not Pashtun Bamyan. 
My biggest question over the past several years is not why the Canadians have paid a higher price than any other country per troop under the ground (with the possible exception of the Danes), but:
  1. Why was anyone surprised that Kandahar would be so "kinetic"?  That is, chock full of combat.  It is the home field of the Taliban. 
Anyhow, I am amused by my own reactions--it seems that I have gone native to a degree.  Of course, the Kiwi MP statement and the NYT article are both pretty appalling displays of ignorance even if one is neither Canadian nor a CF groupie.

No comments: